What would any business owner do without revenue?
Can you relate? - There is this strong feeling of success and accomplishment that business owners feel when a customer pays them for their product or services.
Let us imagine that you have an eCommerce store and after landing on your payment page, a potential customer adds a few products to the cart and completes their order by making payment either through their debit cards or via transfers.
At this stage, it is important to ask yourself this question: "After a customer makes a payment, what comes after?"
In this article, we are going to talk about 5 types of conversations you can have with your customers after they make payment and how these conversations can help to increase revenue for your business.
Here are the topics we will cover:
- Why it is important to keep track of your customer payment data
- 5 conversations you can have after a customer makes a payment
- How to use these conversations to launch a customer retention campaign
- Wrapping Up
Why It is Important to Keep Track of Your Customer Payment Data
Which payment gateway do you use to accept payment in your eCommerce store?
Paystack, Flutterwave, or Stripe?
You need to note that once a customer makes a payment, their payment details are sent to your payment gateway - that is why you need to keep track of your customer’s payment or billing information.
Your customer payment details or data is broken into two categories:
- Customer attributes like name, email, phone number, location, etc
- Customer events like order completed, added product to cart, abandoned cart, etc
When you keep track of your customer payment data, you can do the following things:
- Understand your customer needs better by creating unique customer segments or groups of your customers depending on their actions along their lifecycle,
- Send these customers personalized messages via SMS, Email, push notifications, etc
With Engage, you can keep track of your customer data:
With Engage, you create unique customer segments:
5 Conversations You Can Have With Your Customers After They Make A Payment
Right after a customer makes a payment we are expected to keep track of their data.
Our next step is to communicate regularly with these customers even after they make payments so as offer them post-purchase support and turn them into loyal customers.
The process of communicating regularly with paying customers to build a relationship with them to turn them into loyal customers or repeat buyers is called customer retention.
Here are 5 post-purchase conversations you can have:
- Thank You Confirmation Conversation - These are messages that to send customers immediately after they complete a transaction on your eCommerce store. In these messages, your goal is to thank the customer for their successful transaction and give them an update on how to get the best out of your product or service.
Here is an example of a thank you email from Warby Parker
2. Shipping info and updates: The conversation at this stage is focused on giving the customer updates on their order.
Sending them a series of messages that helps them track their delivery will be of great value to your customers.
Here is an example from Cometeer:
3. Review and feedback: At this conversation stage our focus is on asking for feedback from the customer on their experience after they made payment.
This will help you understand how you can improve your service and offer them more value which will, in turn, convert them into loyal customers.
Here is an example from Withings:
4. Loyalty programs: This conversation stage is focused on offering points or benefits to your customers that they can use to redeem points for discounts, free products, rewards, or insider perks. The goal is to build trust between your business and your customer.
Here is an example from Esty:
5. Cros-sell and Upsell: At this conversation stage, you can offer related products or upgrades to your customer. The goal is to send messages that allows your customers to buy related products or upgrades.
Here is an example from Spotify:
How To Use These Conversations To Launch A Customer Retention Campaign
Now that you have prepared the 5 conversations for your customers who have completed the payment, you can use these messages to create and launch a customer retention campaign.
To launch this campaign follow these steps:
Step one: Keep track of your customer billing data from your payment gateway.
You can connect your Paystack, Flutterwave, or Stripe customer billing data to your Engage account.
Step two: Use your customer data to create a group or segment for customers who have completed a transaction.
You can use Engage to create unique customer segments or groups.
Step three: After you have created you customer segments, you need to determine the messaging channels you will use to have these conversations with customers who have completed a transaction.
With Engage, you can use any of these messaging channels:
- Push Notifications, and
- In-app messages.
Step four: Prepare the content for the 5 conversations you want to have with customers who have made payments. Remember the 5 conversions we spoke about:
- Thank you confirmation
- Shipping update
- Review and feedback
- Loyalty programs
- Cross-sell and upsell
Step five: At this stage, you are now ready to launch your customer retention campaign using the Engage platform.
Step six: Study the results from your customer retention campaign and use that insight to offer even more value to your customers and thereby increase revenue for your business.
Now that you have prepared the 5 conversations for your customers who have completed a transaction on your eCommerce store, you are now ready to increase your revenue.
With Engage, you can create and launch a customer retention campaign that will convert paying customers into loyal customers and thereby increase recurring revenue.
Get started for free